[Battlemesh] Equipments/Antennas for 802.11a/b/g longshots

Axel Neumann neumann at cgws.de
Wed Dec 22 15:40:26 UTC 2010

Hey

On Mittwoch 22 Dezember 2010, Xavier Carcelle wrote:
> Hola queridos(I practice my castillano now that we have confirmation
> for wbmV4!!),
With catalan you'll be in much better company ;-)

> I am looking for devices/equipments/antennas to set-up a 20+kms
> 802.11a/b/g longshot link and I was asking for expertise on this
> mailinglist to see what do you guys think about that ?
>
> Waiting for your inputs/feedbacks.
In 2008 we did a 30km long-shot setup just in that area! We used
Kamikaze/Madwifi some simple 50mW 11a radios and two 31dB grid antennas. The
archievable Bit rate (I think ~36MBit) suggested very good SNR but even with
Ack-timeout tweaking and these 600mW XR5 beasts we couldn't achieve more than
1MByte/sec throughput.
If we really come by car I can bring the antennas and radio stuff again.
Guifi-Net is full of experts for long shot links. They helped with lasers,
expertise, locations, transportation,... But in the end it really took some
time.

salut
/axel