[Battlemesh] 2.4GHz two radio node - interference problems

Rudolf Meijering skaapgif at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 14:30:50 CEST 2010

Hi,

I read from the results of previous WBM's that you could hardly improve
performance with a two radio node setup (on 2.4GHz). I spoke to some people
on the BATMAN IRC channel and they told me they had attempted to decrease
interference by putting a screen between the nodes, but even this was
unsuccessful.

I would like to give my advice on how to build such a screen to stop the
interference. I hope that someone will have the time to test it out and
hopefully improve performance. To effectively screen off radiation a screen
can be built from a *single* sheet of aluminum foil that is *at least* two
wavelengths (250mm) broad (the broader the better though). The screen should
consist of two ground planes with a wall inbetween like two L's put side to
side.

            Radio 1            |         Radio 2

The spacing between the radios and the vertical wall should be a quarter
wavelength (roughly 31mm) apart and the vertical wall should also be two
wavelengths high. If you can get a hold of 500mm broad tin foil, I would
rather make the vertical wall 500mm high too. It is important not to glue
several pieces of foil together but to only use a single sheet.

I hope that someone will find this useful!

Regards,
--
Rudolf Meijering