[Battlemesh] tests for WBMv3

Luca Tavanti luca.tavanti at iet.unipi.it
Wed May 26 16:04:00 CEST 2010

Hi Aaron,

At 26/05/2010 11.47, you wrote:
>Hm, maybe I was not clear (I hinted it at in the parentheses):
>by designing the test network so that the other links are worse (of course you need to confirm this by measurement).
>Then as a result you have a network where your desinged links are optimum (optimum according to some criterium of course).
>Then you do static routes there.
>
>So - as a result you have a benchmark against which you can compare different protocols in a *repeatable* way.
>The problem that I see with many of the WBM tests: it is nice to meet and to discover bugs while testing.
>But it is really hard to thoroughly convince oneself or somebody else that this measurement result is really true and repeatable.
>(changes in SNR, interference, ... you name it).
>
>Therefore I suggested to try to aim at _some kind of_ reference against which we should compare any protocol.
>
>See my point?

Ok, perhaps I got your point.
So... let's assume we set up a sort of reference topology using your method. You design good and bad links, set static routes and then... how do you use them?
Run the mesh protocols and see if they choose exactly the same links?
Hmm... what I expect is that, if you have only very good and very bad links, any "decent" protocol will use only the good links, and all protocols will behave (roughly) the same. At most you can detect if a proto selects the bad links...
What I mean is that perhaps you set up a network which is too much "black/white", with no grays, so you don't give the protocols much degrees of freedom in chosing the routes.
So, ok you get the repeatability, but miss much other info.

Luca