[Battlemesh] wireless spectrum scanner in wbmv4

Xavier Carcelle xavier.carcelle at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 09:46:19 CET 2010

Hola Albert,

> Made some contacts with local university to look for possible collaboration
> in the wireles battlemesh to be held in catalonia. Talked about several
> things, I asked if they can lend us some equipment for the event (they
> confirmed some server and switches) and asked specifically for a spectrum
> scanner remembering that this was discussed during wbm presentation in
> ninux-day.
That would be excellent to have one this WBMv4.
Do you what kind of equipment is that ? Spectrum Analyzer ?

Our contact teacher (in BCC) asked for what purpose since isn't
> easy to move the equipment out the university and the scanner they have is a
> multipurpose one with a sensibility comparable (or worse than)  to some
> cheap-commercial wifi scanners. What was the idea of having the spectrum
> analyzer?
We have tried the Ubiquity WiFi scanner w/ Aaron and this is a
good/simple way to have a view of the occupancy of the spectrum but
the full spectrum analyzer can give use advanced spectrum analyzing of
the gaussian response for each 14 802.11 channels (that will differ
from one 802.11 chip to the other and than affect the perturbations
from one channel to the other).

> PS: this local university is doing some research in some-kind of wireless
> data-sensors network that may be nice to hear about during the event
We can organize a day/half-day of talks/presentations including local
academic projects of Barcelona universities.

Saludos.
Xavier.