[Battlemesh] DHCP and IP addresses

Mitar mitar at tnode.com
Mon Apr 18 13:19:54 UTC 2011

Hi!

> So, let's say you start with the whole 10.0.0.0/8 range.

Please do not use so big ranges. Because sooner or later you will want
to peer also with other networks and then you will not be able because
you will have same IPs used in both networks.

This is also why we have started collecting information about IP ranges
used by different networks to be easier to understand how IP ranges are
used.

http://interop.wlan-si.net/wiki/IPAddressing/List

Of course all this is only the problem with IPv4.

> But they have to decide what range of IPs to hand out.  How do they
> decide that?  Do you assign each router a range when it joins the
> network?  How do you decide on an IP address for a router? Does that
> do DHCP with something else, or do you give them out by hand?

In Slovenia we use for that our centralized registry incorporated in
nodewatcher. nodewatcher allocates IP resources to every node which
registers from main configured IP pool. It allocates primary IP address
of the node and also subnet for clients. Then each node simply runs DHCP
server which allocates from this subnet.

This makes things simple. But the problem is that IP address utilization
is quite low as not all IPs are used in a given node's subnet.

Mitar