[Battlemesh] [Babel-users] Battlemesh-like experiment in Washington, DC

haxwithaxe me at haxwithaxe.net
Wed Aug 10 19:47:03 CEST 2011

hi,
i'm one of the other byzantium developers. at some point we do intend to
get switched over to ipv6 but for now we are using ipv4 just to simplify
our lives during development as none of us are terribly experienced with
ipv6.
our use case dictates that the meshes will at some point need to operate
without being connected to the internet at all so relying on any kind of
centralized service to configure the nodes isn't always going to work.
also we are using x86 machines (laptops/desktops) for our nodes so we
need to allow for tweaking given the diversity of the hardware byzantium
will be on. we will likely have some form of graduated configuration
which will start at the most basic level so that people don't have to
fiddle with more settings than are required.
in addition the lack of centralized configuration mechanism prevents an
a hostile party from spoofing control instructions and shutting down the
network by scrambling the configs in the event byzantium is deployed in
an environment where it may not be welcome by authorities, or if it's
deployed in the proximity of skiddies who think it'd be funny to kill a
community's link to each other and the internet.
also we are using ahcpd so withing the mesh it's not entirely random
what ip one gets.