[Battlemesh] Help needed presenting our mesh based app @ Battlemesh

jeetu.golani at gmail.com jeetu.golani at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 20:02:11 UTC 2011

Hi :),

> Don't stop!

Thank you, definitely feels good to hear this :)

> Hm, but you do not run computation on routers themselves? They are used
> just for routing. So for testing this we would also need a bunch of
> client computers attached to the mesh?

I'll take this opportunity to speak a little on how we have things working
at the moment. The current implementation works with the scenario wherein
the mesh comprises of independent wireless devices in ad-hoc mode. The
OLSR daemon and our plugin,on each wireless device allows access to
devices multi-hops away.

Is this a practical scenario in current mesh implementations?
Is this workable in a large mesh network? ....we don't know, this is new to us.

This is why we would like to interact with the people out there and
hopefully someone can show us if we're on the right path with all of
this or better ways to do this :)

> Marek, maybe some webcam presentation would be possible? Will we have
> there a projector? And speakers?

This would be super :)

> Jeetu, so are you still students? Or would you be mentor to somebody
> this year with GSoC and your project? Would $500 allow you to get here?

Unfortunately, neither Erle nor I are students :)

GSOC is something that never crossed our minds, it does warrant a look
into. The deadline for submissions is near, so we had better get
cracking. This is an excellent line of thought :)

What $500 and more importantly the gesture does is give us a lot of
encouragement and makes us feel extremely appreciative :) Thank
you so much for the thought :) At a  pure financial level it would
still require us to dig deep into our pockets and tap into money
we've been setting aside to do things like buy more hardware such as Android
devices to port this to and other such efforts to continue taking this forward.

The offer is so tempting though that Erle and I have spent most of the
day speaking across continents trying to make this work :)
The effort to help with the finances is certainly well appreciated.
Gives us the energy to keep at this now. We look forward to meeting you guys,
maybe at the next one :)

Perhaps by the next one, we will have sorted a lot of things out
including better finances :). In the interim we hope to have people
out there more well versed with mesh networks try this out and
give us ways to improve this. Currently we are using olsrd and
would love to work with them somehow in improving our usage of this.
Also we would like to have a plugin mechanism so someone who wants
to have a different mesh protocol and try it during the next Battlemesh can :)

We notice that the battlemesh's have been taking place every few months so
far so we know what we are working towards :)

We still entertain the idea of being able to present something regards
this at the event virtually somehow? Or as a small gesture from our
part maybe paying the registration for someone out there who can help
present this on our behalf? Any suggestions on how we can either hook
up via webcam, irc,etc and still be a part of this would be great. If
there is a projector we would love to send across a presentation.

Thanks a bunch to you guys for all the efforts thus far.

Cheers,
Jeetu
ebrain.in