[Battlemesh] Military advertising at Battlemesh

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Fri Mar 25 14:02:56 UTC 2011

Dear All,

As you doubtless are aware, Andrew (Lunn, I believe) attended WBMv4 as
an employee of ASCOM, a company that works as a defence contractor for
various armies.  What is more, he gave a talk in which he openly
advertised military applications of mesh networking, as well as his
company.

I believe this to have been highly inappropriate.  By not interrupting
Andrew during his talk, we have all condoned his actions.

I would like to suggest that advertising for military companies should
not be allowed at future battlemeshes.  Should, notwithstanding my
suggestion, vendors of military technology be invited to give talks
about military technology at WBMv4 in the future, I hereby request that
we should be warned of that fact sufficiently in advance to decide
whether to attend notwithstanding or not.

--Juliusz