[Battlemesh] Wireless Battle Mesh v5 - Next steps

Marek Lindner lindner_marek at yahoo.de
Thu Sep 22 11:03:10 UTC 2011

On Thursday, September 22, 2011 06:52:22 Andrew Parnell wrote:
> One thing I would like to suggest is to have a more formalised
> arrangement for the test network that we will use for WBMv5.  Though I
> am a newcomer to this, one thing that I couldn't help but notice was
> that many of us were there for 5-6 days before we were actually
> deploying the Foneras and building a test mesh.  It seems that this is
> not the most efficient use of our time.  Perhaps we could find a way
> to require that each team/group who wishes to submit code for testing
> must have this ready to go /before/ the event begins.  This way, a
> firmware image can be prepared in advance, and once people begin to
> arrive, we can set up the mesh immediately and have much more time for
> testing.  We would probably also want to have another deadline(s)
> sometime in the middle of the event perhaps, where updates can be
> provided and a new firmware image(s) compiled.  Hopefully this would
> allow us to use the short time we have to the maximum benefit, and we
> could really get some good tests/statistics compiled as a result.

It is not that we did not try in the past. We had deadlines / teams / etc but
clearly lacked direction imposed by a "test leader" or "test group". The
misery starts when you ask the question: What are we going to test ? You will
find people chiming in that are fairly silent most of the time but feel they
have to "defend" their protocol.
In short: As long as we don't have someone (preferrably a protocol neutral
person) who takes matters into his hands I don't expect any improvement this
year either.

Regards,
Marek