[Battlemesh] Nice meshwork project based on cellphones

Paul Gardner-Stephen paul at servalproject.org
Tue Apr 24 08:39:07 UTC 2012

Hi Benjamin,

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Benjamin Henrion <bh at udev.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 2:49 AM, Paul Gardner-Stephen
> <paul.gardner.stephen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am the founder of the Serval Project, so thought I would drop in on
>> the conversation.
>>
>> We do have the IDEOS X1 as our primary supported phone, but it will
>> work on some other models of phone as well, e.g., Samsung Galaxy S 2,
>> various other IDEOS family phones and so on.
>>
>> We are also happy to add support for any other model of rooted phone
>> if someone can lend us a phone for a day or three.
>>
>> I will be in Europe at the end of May, with the 26th in Berlin and 3rd
>> June in Geneva, and a few hours on the 5th June in Zurich airport if
>> people want to catch me (maybe to work on getting their phone
>> supported).
>>
>> Moving on from specific handset issues, we are currently in a burst of
>> development effort over the next few months, and in the meantime the
>> releases are very much experimental grade.
>>
>> Mesh wise, we currently support both BATMAN and OLSRd, but are also
>> adding our own overlay mesh that runs side-by-side with one of these,
>> but using a 256-bit ECC public key as network address, and handles
>> security and a variety of other issues.  More on that as we make
>> progress on it.
>
> Any progress on the mesh over GSM side?

We do have plans to use the baseband radio in the ISM915 band
(915-928MHz) in the countries where it is allowed (notably not in
Europe).  The big challenge is getting the baseband radio programming
information.  However, we are beginning to work with a handset
manufacturer to explore this space.
We expect 1km-3km range between handsets in good conditions.
Certainly the Serval Project is designed with this goal in mind.

Paul.