[Battlemesh] [FNF-Contact] Do you know this initiatives?

Roger Baig Viñas roger.baig at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 17:36:30 UTC 2012

Hi Isaac,

This is Roger, another folk from guifi.net ;)

Your last e-mail is full of interesting things. I comment them in-line.

On 8 February 2012 04:49, Isaac Wilder wrote:

> On 02/06/2012 02:57 PM, L. Aaron Kaplan wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 6, 2012, at 3:09 PM, Albert Homs i Gall wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry for the late response, your mail finished in spam folder. I add
> in the mail roaster a guifi.net mailing list and the battlemesh mailing
> list where most of the european networks have some components
> No worries! Someone in our IP block was spamming, so we've been having
> trouble recently.
>
> As far as the lists go, a hardy hello to all the mesh heads out there!
>
> My name is Isaac Wilder, and I'm one of the directors of the Free
> Network Foundation. We were founded last May, and have been working on
> various networking solutions since that time. Our aim is to decentralize

The guifi.net community created in the year 2008 (the community) the
Fundació Privada per a la Xarxa Oberta, Lliure i Neutral guifi.net [1]
(guifi.net's Open, Free and Neutral Network Foundation), guifi.net
Foundation for short. It is an entirely bottom-up initiative (the
Foundation was created form small donations from guifi.net community
members) with the main target of promoting the Free Network both
locally helping our neighbours setting up their nodes, collaborating
with the local authorities, advising the legislator, etc. and
internationally contacting other groups with the same interests,
exchanging experiences with them, etc. In this sense I think it would
we really worth to know each other better ;)

[1] http://blogs.guifi.net/fundacio/

(sorry for not having the English version yet available -we are working on it)

> not just networks, but information flows as well. We don't think a mesh
> network is all that useful if it's just used as an access/last-mile
> replacement, so we are working with the FreedomBox project to build a
> technology stack that will encourage people not only to connect locally,
> but to share locally as well.

Explaining that Community Networks are much more than "Internet for
free" or an alternative to the traditional last-mile telcos is one of
the most typical "fights" we have (some others: that CN are as secure
as Internet, that running our own network is totally legal, etc.).

In guifi.net we have a long list of services provided by the community
members [2]

[2] http://guifi.net/es/node/17711/view/services

The network also has its professional/profitable side: on the one hand
there are lots SME offering their products (node installations,
Internet access, services, etc.) and on the other there are companies
using the network to develop their activities as they would do with
any other telco (for instance to interconnect their factories).

>>> For all that not aware I found this iniatitive
> http://freenetworkfoundation.org/ and send them the first e-mail of the
> this thread
>>>
> [snip original message]
>>>

>> Issac, did you know about the ISCWN ? www.wirelesssummit.org.
>> That kind of congress has been going on for some years already :)
>> It is sometimes described as the "UN of wireless community networks".
> I definitely have heard of ISCWN. I very much hope that I'll be able to
> attend in Barcelona. I was also hoping to make it to battlemesh 5 in
> Athens, but unfortunately I can't make it due to some occupy-related
> legal proceedings.
>>

>> The next one will take place in Barcelona . Details will still be
> announced.
> Who are the organizers?

The International Summit for Community Wireless Networks are the main
organizers and in some editions some other organizations help them as
the OPLAN Foundation [3] will do in the coming one.

[3] http://www.oplan.org/

guifi.net, as the local community, will also do its best to make it a big event.

> I would love to help organize/sponsor/program the summit, if that's
> still a possibility.

Aaron already say he would contact you with this regard. Because I
don't know if he has already done so I contact you privately just in
case ;)

> We hope still to organize a stateside gathering, as we would really like
> to see the proliferation of materially peer-to-peer communications here
> in the states, as well as abroad. Would love to be able to bring over
> some folks from Europe to share their know-how, and to foster community.

;)

> with respect and determination,
>
> Isaac Wilder
> Executive Director, The Free Network Foundation
> www.thefnf.org

roger