[Battlemesh] HAM Radio?

Mitar mitar at tnode.com
Tue Jul 31 00:57:50 UTC 2012

Hi!

Just stumbled upon one old e-mail ...

> According to regulations you are not allowed to transport content
> over ham networks. Hence you are essentially only allowed to talk
> about the weather and other trivial things.

I am not sure if this is true. As far as I know (what they told me in
our HAM association in Slovenia, for me being a HAM operator) is that
you should not allow any third-party content to be send over the link.
And that nothing should be encrypted. So the main idea is that only HAM
operators can use that links. But for whatever content you want
(provided it is not encrypted), in both directions (you requesting
something from the Internet, you sending something to the Internet, or
just to your next hop neighbor, also HAM operator).

> Yes, that is true. Again, ham networks are not allowed to be
> interconnected with the Internet (or any other commercial network)
> except for reaching the hamnet itself (like in a VPN).

No? HAM operators can normally connect to the Internet and use it. They
can use 44/8 IPs for that. The only condition is that content should not
be encrypted. And that it should not be used for third-party content. So
you can access anything. But you probably cannot setup a service
somebody else, not a HAM operator, access. Maybe if it is HAM related,
then even that.

So if we would all become HAM operators, then we would be able to use
those TX powers.

Mitar