[Battlemesh] Battlemesh v5 tests

Benjamin Henrion bh at udev.org
Mon Mar 5 16:32:38 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Clauz <clauz at ninux.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 03/01/2012 01:37 PM, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
>>> So, here are some ideas:
>>> http://www.battlemesh.org/BattleMeshV5/Tests
>>
>> Excellent. Thanks a lot for your work, Clauz.
>>
>> In the "Channel Surfer" test, I'd like to see throughput results (not
>> necessarily taken into account in the competition, just for my own
>> education).
>
> I think we can easily measure that.
>

>> I'm not sure it's possible -- but if we have the hardware, I'd like to
>> see a test with multi-radio nodes.
>
> I don't know if we have multi-radio, so the tests are designed for
> single-radio devices.

That's a fundamental problem. Even with static routing you cannot hope
to have something usable for basic TCP transfers.

Forget about hoping over the same frequency.

> Babel(z) is AFAIK the only protocol (of the battlemesh) designed to be
> radio/channel-aware, so I wonder what other protocol developers think
> about this test, and if they think that a protocol not designed to be
> radio-aware can however choose the best path...

Protocols that use metrics more intelligent then packet-loss based
should be able to detect fast links.

Babel is not able to make the difference between a 1G and 100M
ethernet link for example.

The same problem when your radio changes from 5M to 11M.

And that's probably the case for other routing protocols as well.

--
Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-3500762