[Battlemesh] Registration period extended until 11/03/2012

Antonio Quartulli ordex at autistici.org
Tue Mar 6 23:22:07 UTC 2012

Hello people,

On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 05:12:40PM -0500, Ryan Hughes wrote:
> > I'm interested in knowing more about bitcoin, I hope to meet someone who will help me
> > to get the mining to work at battlemesh :-)
>
> Yeah, d00d.  I'll help people learn about bitcoins, yo.  I can give an
> informal talk about it.  (I'd give a formal talk, but I don't know enough
> about it to really make a good talk).

It would be really really nice!!

> But don't get excited about mining.  Word on the street (and by "street",
> I mean #bitcoin on freenode) is that it's gotten to the point where you
> won't make significant money mining even if you have a purpose-built box
> full of GPUs.  The cool kids these days are mining with FPGAs!  And they
> said that it's always "just about worth it".  If you invest huge amounts
> of money in making a fantabulous machine, you'll just about break even.
>
> Also, people sometimes look at the exchange rates and think the point of
> bitcoin is currency speculation.

well, in the past there has been some speculation, in particular in the very
early age when mining was "more productive".

> But really, the purpose of it is to do financial transactions through the
> internet -- and across national borders -- in a peer-to-peer fashion,
> without having to rely on a central authority.

it's a really nice concept. There is also a "light" paper about the concept and
the mathematical details behind it[1]

Cheers,

[1] http://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

--