[Battlemesh] [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Battlemesh v5 tests

Antonio Quartulli ordex at autistici.org
Fri Mar 9 12:39:06 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 01:04:55PM +0100, Gabriel Kerneis wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 07:26:54PM +0800, Marek Lindner wrote:
> > The concept of a primary interface goes back into the early days of batman and
> > primarily is an optimization to reduce overhead. At some point we realized
> > that it is not necessary to flood the mesh with OGMs from each and every
> > interface we have. Nearby nodes might want to know about all interfaces to
> > select the best one. Nodes that are far away don't care which interface is
> > connected to what other interface. They only care about a route to their
> > destination. This concept is briefly explained here[1] (section 2.1.6 and
> > 2.1.7).
>
> Thanks for the pointer.
>
> Does that mean that it is impossible to announce a route on some interfaces
> only?  It looks like a rather arbitrary limitation.

OGMs are broadcasted over all the interfaces (there may be some neighs reachable
only by one interface) and you can't force an OGM to be broadcasted only over
one of them. I hope I correctly got your question.

> In case I misunderstood and it is actually possible, I fail to see ĥow the
> alternating algorithm takes this into account: it seems to assume that a node
> will accept to route any packet on any interface.  Did I miss something?

Packets are alternatively routed on all the "possible" interfaces (a neighbor could be
connected only to a subset of them) until the metric on that interface is
acceptable. I hope I correctly got your question again.

Cheers,

--
Antonio Quartulli

..each of us alone is worth nothing..