[Battlemesh] [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Battlemesh v5 tests

Gabriel Kerneis kerneis at pps.jussieu.fr
Fri Mar 9 13:46:00 UTC 2012

Andrew,

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 01:09:26PM +0000, andrew.lunn at ascom.com wrote:
> > Consider the following topology:
> >

> >        l0     l1
> >     A ---- B ==== C
> >               l2
> >
> > where --- is a single link (l0) and === are two links (l1 and l2).
> >
> > Now imagine that the administator wants to dedicate the link l2 to the
> > communication between B and C, for whatever reason.  It is fairly easy to
> > set netfilter rules to that effect, for instance.
>
> It would be possible to do what you want. Simply don't add the l2 interfaces
> to BATMAN, put IP addresses from a different subnet on the interfaces, and B
> and C can use the link l2 for themselves, and use the bat0 interface for
> access to the mesh subnet.

This was of course a simplified example.

What if there are an arbitrary number of nodes between B and C instead of a
direct link?

       l0        l1
    A ---- B ---------- C  Example:
           \           /   I want to restrict the link l1 to communication
            D -- E -- F    between A and C. (Nice frying-pan, isn’t it? ;-)

I love ASCII-art, I can build arbitrarily complex situations (and we actually
use this kind of stuff with babel on wifi.pps.jussieu.fr). Your solution doesn’t
scale, it only pushes the problem outside of batman.

Best,
--
Gabriel