[Battlemesh] Battlemesh v5 tests

Axel Neumann neumann at cgws.de
Tue Mar 13 11:51:46 UTC 2012

On 11.03.2012 12:40, Clauz wrote:
> On 03/08/2012 09:20 AM, Axel Neumann wrote:
>> Bmx6 would suffer from a similar problem. It incorporates a duplicate
>> address detection mechanism
>> which would falsely assume for 100 seconds that there is a second node
>> announcing the
>> same address as the node that was turned down.
>>
>> Keep this in mind when reading my following comments :-)

>>> The test tries to mimic what happens in real community networks, where
>>> complete hardware reboots (due to power outages, people just plugging
>>> everything out of the socket and back in when things don't work, etc.)
>>> are much more common than interface or daemon restarts...
>>

>> In my experience there are two main reasons for relevant changes in the
>> topology
>> of wireless mesh networks (significantly changing link qualities or
>> links even going
>> up or down):
>>
>> 1)  changing radio environments
>>
>> This could be for example the microwave oven started by the neighbor
>> or the hundrets of wifi surfers that sleep during night but get active
>> in the morning,
>> or maybe (less common) because a mobile node moves to a new location.
>>
>> At least from several roof-top mesh nodes I know that they tend to have
>> uptimes of several month but are exposed to significantly changing
>> interference
>> conditions and successive route changes several times per day.
>>

>> 2)  intuitively deactivated and reactivated nodes to save power.
>>
>> Power outages are rather seldom. Especially short-time ones.
>> But what happens is that nodes are turned down intuitively to save power
>> (yes,
>> people living in trailerparks and having solar energy as their only
>> power source still
>> have such kind of problems). Or to be moved to a new location.
>> But in either case, when nodes are turned down intuitively, they usually
>> remain down
>> for more than 10 minutes.
>>

>> Therefore I would actually vote for something like decreasing tx-power,
>> turn off the interface, or temporary unplug the ethernet cable (if its
>> about
>> alternating the link-quality of an ethernet link.
>
> I don't like turning off the interface, because is not realistic at all.
> But yes, changing radio environment is everyday matter. I have two
> questions (for everybody):
>   1. do you think we can set up a topology in which a txpower change can
> trigger a route change? We will be needing directional antennas, right?

likely.

>   2. do you think decreasing the tx power via software will work well on
> our hardware? My experience is that most drivers tend to ignore this setting
My experience is that its not ignored (with madwifi or ath5/9k.
But the effect often does not match your expectations :-(

If I remember right, during last events the txpower (if not on all then
at least on many devices)
was already configured to a very low value because we wanted to avoid
that every node sees
every other node.

>> If this is not possible, what about turning them down for 5 minutes?
> This is realistic, and feasible... :)

sounds good.

cu
/axel