[Battlemesh] Military advertising at Battlemesh

elektra onelektra at gmx.net
Tue Mar 20 19:19:18 UTC 2012

Hi -

> I believe in freedom of speech but I do not support the industry of death
> or petrol. I came to the wifi mesh as a result of the Egyptian Revolutions
> needs, to help my friends in Egypt I think that says it all.

that is excellent!

Many years ago I have been quite sad about the prospect that if you invent something useful it is often dual use and if possible it will, for sure, be abused. This thought occured to me after inventing the first version B.A.T.M.A.N.

If you invent the kitchen knife with the intention to cut bread, sooner or later someone will use it as a weapon to stab someone.

Not many years later I learned that batman-adv is used for military gear.

This also reminds me of the story of Alberto Santos-Dumont. He was an aviation pioneer and idealist, who published the construction plans of his flying machines and gave them away for free, in the hope that air travel would help mankind to overcome the hostility between nations. We know today how naive that was. He committed suicide when he saw that his invention was used to drop bombs and kill people. In the 20th century, war moved from the open battlefield to the cities. It didn't take long until the mass murder of the citizens of Coventry, Guernica and Dresden - to name a view.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberto_Santos-Dumont

Mesh routing protocols may have a good impact on society, but it is always dual use. I hope that the positive uses will always outweigh the sinister uses.

For me it is more acceptable if people are open about there involvement with military R&D. Otherwise we may see suspicious people popping up which will not tell us in the open who they are working for and what their reason to come to the Battlemesh is.

In my eyes, if you work for the military industrial complex you have no excuse, but lame excuses.

The first one being: "If I wouldn't do it, someone else will do it."

Cheers,
Elektra