[Battlemesh] WBMv6 - Hardware / Sponsoring

Simon Wunderlich simon.wunderlich at s2003.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Oct 26 08:55:13 UTC 2012

Hello Huub,

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:36:44PM +0200, Huub Schuurmans wrote:
> Op 10/25/12 8:52 PM, Bastian Bittorf schreef:
> > dear crowd,
> >
> > as already mentioned at closing ceremony at WBMv5 in Athens,
> > we will sponsor this year the test nodes. We prefer
> >
> > Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H
> >
> > because of dual-radio 2.4 + 5 GHz and enough ram/flash:
> > http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buffalo/wzr-hp-ag300h
> >
> > my proposal is to order/send the stuff directly to
> > the location. it doesnt matter how many we need of them,
> > we will use it after the event anyway in reallife.
> >
> > any suggestions or complains about this?
> >

> We (Wireless Leiden) are considering participating -first time- in this
> event. However, we use a different software configuration: no OpenWRT
> but FreeBSD operating system with out own 'lvrouted' routing protocol.
>
> We would have a problem with the proposed hardware as this is a MIPS
> processor not an IA32 type. In our network we use PCEngines Alix2D13
> boards as the core of our 'independent radio interfaces system'.
> This configuration provides a lot of flexibility for using and comparing
> various software and radio hardware configurations, but costs are higher.

If you provide Alix hardware for the tests, we could also do tests on them.
However, purchasing a lot of ALIX boards (plus WiFi cards, housings, antennas)
would be pretty expensive (we need a few of them, like 20-40 I think). Only
getting them for WBM is not really feasible I think. It would be nice to
do all the tests on the same hardware.

would it be possible to port lvrouted to linux? If it is a routing
daemon, the required changes should not be too big[tm]. Also most community
networks use OpenWRT, so it would be a good idea if you want to push
your routing protocol in the community. :)

Cheers,
	Simon