[Battlemesh] Encryption on ad-hoc mode

Antonio Quartulli ordex at autistici.org
Fri Oct 26 11:44:43 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 04:15:09AM -0700, Mitar wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > Right now, using OpenWRT and one of the ibss/rsn enabled drivers (like ath9k,
> > ath5k, iwlwifi and others..), it should work out of the box[tm].
>
> Which version of OpenWrt? trunk or latest stable?

trunk has the support for sure, while I don't think that backfire does support
it.

> > The only drawback at the moment is that broadcast packets are encrypted in sw
> > (so reducing broadcast throughput a bit), but I don't think this is a real
> > problem.
>
> And unicast is encrypted how?

In hw, by the device/chip itself (as normally happens when a device is used in
managed mode). To do the same with broadcast packets we need some driver
supports which is currently missing. But for what I have seen this is not
hurting at all.

Cheers,

--
Antonio Quartulli