[Battlemesh] WBMv6 - Hardware / Sponsoring

L. Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Sat Oct 27 21:12:23 UTC 2012

On Oct 26, 2012, at 10:55 AM, Simon Wunderlich wrote:

> Hello Huub,
>
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:36:44PM +0200, Huub Schuurmans wrote:
>> Op 10/25/12 8:52 PM, Bastian Bittorf schreef:
>>> dear crowd,
>>>
>>> as already mentioned at closing ceremony at WBMv5 in Athens,
>>> we will sponsor this year the test nodes. We prefer
>>>
>>> Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H
>>>
>>> because of dual-radio 2.4 + 5 GHz and enough ram/flash:
>>> http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buffalo/wzr-hp-ag300h
>>>
>>> my proposal is to order/send the stuff directly to
>>> the location. it doesnt matter how many we need of them,
>>> we will use it after the event anyway in reallife.
>>>
>>> any suggestions or complains about this?
>>>

>> We (Wireless Leiden) are considering participating -first time- in this
>> event. However, we use a different software configuration: no OpenWRT
>> but FreeBSD operating system with out own 'lvrouted' routing protocol.
>>
>> We would have a problem with the proposed hardware as this is a MIPS
>> processor not an IA32 type. In our network we use PCEngines Alix2D13
>> boards as the core of our 'independent radio interfaces system'.
>> This configuration provides a lot of flexibility for using and comparing
>> various software and radio hardware configurations, but costs are higher.
>
> If you provide Alix hardware for the tests, we could also do tests on them.
> However, purchasing a lot of ALIX boards (plus WiFi cards, housings, antennas)
> would be pretty expensive (we need a few of them, like 20-40 I think). Only

Well, here is a proposal / an idea:

since the CONFINE project (as announced at the last WBM) will have some infrastructure with Alix boards (as well as with other devices) and as the testbed should be ready by then, why don't we
also include the CONFINE testbed at the next WBM?
I see this is a win-win situation:
a) the WBM folks get good hardware to run their experiments on
b) WBM folks get an intro on how to use the CONFINE testbed management software
c) CONFINE gets feedback on the testbed.

What do you think?

Note: I am not saying we should run experiments exclusively on the CONFINE testbed. I am saying we should add it to the WBM tests.

Aaron.