[Battlemesh] A community mesh network grows in Oakland, California...

Jenny Ryan jenny at thepyre.org
Sun Jul 21 22:35:12 UTC 2013

Greetings,

The sudo room mesh networking group <http://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh> has
gotten to the point where we are nearly ready to launch a free community
wireless network in Oakland, California!

We will be launching the first part of the network with 100+ wifi nodes,
and we need your help to raise the money! Even a single dollar helps! We've
9 days left and about $700 to go:

  https://www.wepay.com/donations/oakland-community-mesh-network

Even if you can't contribute monetarily, please consider forwarding this to
your friends / social network of choice. You can use this tweet:

A #*mesh* <https://twitter.com/search?q=%23mesh&src=hash> network grows in #
*Oakland* <https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Oakland&src=hash>. Help them
bootstrap free as in freedom alternative Internet! http://bit.ly/15UT357

We will provide a free wireless network controlled and maintained by the
local community. The network will be used to provide both local community
services, post-disaster backup connectivity and free internet connectivity
focusing on the less connected communities.

If you're more interested in donating equipment directly, look at our
wishlist:

  https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Wishlist

Check out our wiki <http://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh> to learn more about our
process, add to our growing list of tips and resources, or join the
conversation directly by signing up for our mailing
list<http://lists.sudoroom.org/listinfo/mesh>and stopping by to visit
us on IRC (#510pen on Freenode)!

--------
Jenny