[Battlemesh] test-router platform upgrade, decide on numbers

Simon Wunderlich simon.wunderlich at s2003.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Mar 19 00:10:24 UTC 2013

Hey battlemeshers,

I've talked to Bastian Bittorf who (still) wants to lend/sponsor
some routers for the event. He suggested to upgrade from the
original proposed Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H to something newer like
the NETGEAR WNDR 4300 [1]. It has lots of flash + memory (128 MiB both),
AR9340 2.4 GHz for 802.11bgn (2 streams) and AR9580 5GHz 802.11an (3 streams),
Gigabit Ethernet, even USB ..... These routers are also pretty well available.
Doesn't sound so bad, eh? :)

We'd like to hear your opinion - I don't have any experiences with these
routers, maybe you have? Changing the platform is always a little bit risky,
but maybe someone has some experience with this model? We need to order
routers soon to make sure they arrive in time.

Also, how many of them should we get?
Would 30 be a reasonable number of routers for testing?

Cheers,
	Simon

[1] http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr4300