[Battlemesh] See you next time!

Gui Iribarren gui at altermundi.net
Mon May 13 21:12:05 UTC 2013

On 05/13/2013 10:37 PM, Roger Baig Viñas wrote:
> Hi Filipe,
>>
>> About the WiFIX Stub WMN solution, I'm pushing to make it Open Source and I
>> hope next time we are able to test it!
>
> Good job! I hope you will succeed in convincing your superiors of the
> advantages of opening. It would be a fantastic news for the v7 edition
> ;-)

Hey Filipe, glad to know you're lobbying to get your work open sourced.
Besides being a win-win situation for both the software and the
community, i think it also improves your personal relationship with the
fruit of your work. When you're selling your time to someone, it really
makes a (motivational) difference when you produce code which is peer
reviewed, and that will be hacked by many other people, probably in
unexpected ways, ultimately improving quality and expanding userbase.

In some cases (depends on your contract/agreement) when you put your
time into a propietary solution, it doesn't matter the quality, elegance
and usefulness that you might achieve; any day the owner of that code
can tell you to throw it away/abandon it. Several months of your life
down the drain and you can't do anything about that.

Hey, I don't want to sound like an evangelist! it's just that i've seen
friends go through that scenario, and while most didn't seem to care
much about it, I think it's important to bear that in mind :)

Hope to see you in Leipzig!!

Gui