[Battlemesh] Battlemesh event description

Nicolás Echániz nicoechaniz at altermundi.net
Thu Nov 21 06:17:13 UTC 2013

El 20/11/13 10:09, Nemesis escribió:
> Hi everyone,
>
> in order to promote the event to its maximum potential and in order to
> get the best possible outcome, I thought it would be cool to expand a
> little the description of the event.
>
> First of all, I would like to brainstorm about the battlemesh potential
> and what would be the best possible outcome to see if we have a similar
> vision.
>
> *Potential*
> The Battlemesh community is on of the most beautiful, exciting and
> skilled community I came across in my short life.
> Most of the participants are *very* skilled in their own field,
> seriously. Dynamic routing protocol developers, OpenWRT developers,
> wireless community networkers, free and open source sofware developers
> and advocates, network engineers, web developers, ecc
> In this event we have the people who are driving the open source
> development in the field of open wireless networking.
> A coordinated effort by this group of people can have great impact, and
> infact is already having a significant impact.

I agree that "coordinated effort by this group of people can have great
impact" and having a place to meet, talk and test the technologies we
are working on greatly facilitates this coordination. In our experience:
we went to one Battlemesh only but it was an excelent experience and
together with the WCW it led to at least two coordinated projects with
other communities: the Libre-mesh firmware (AlterMundi+ guifi.net +
ninux pisa/eigenNet) and Libremap (AlterMundi+Freifunk) and many
specific collaborations with other groups.

I agree with Simon that we should keep focused on the technological
aspects of what we are doing. There are other more political events.

So... +1 to adding a more accurate description of what the event has
become over the years. I believe this is something some of the newcomers
in Aalborg expressed as something that needed attention.

One other thing that could be interesting is to think if it makes sense
to expand the base of "what we are testing". Maybe we can think of other
things appart from routing protocols to make further use of the testbed.

Cheers,
Nico