[Battlemesh] Custom Dual AP antenna setup for one router antenna plug

cmsv cmsv at wirelesspt.net
Fri Sep 20 20:28:15 UTC 2013

Hello Bastian.

The idea to do this is quite similar to one of the described cases bellow.
I have this church tower right in the middle of my mesh. It is  a
perfect spot for an access point. However to make it a directional node
it is impossible to reach the top. The other option is to use the towers
windows (4).
This would mean 4 routers and 4 directional antennas but i can deal with
only 2. The point is a direct link to my gateway node from the west side
and then send the link out through the east side and in other to avoid 2
routers; i would use only one with 2 biquad antennas.

On 09/20/2013 08:46 AM, Huub Schuurmans wrote:
> Op 9/19/13 11:30 PM, cmsv schreef:
>> I have searched about this kind of idea before but did not find any
>> relevant information so i though, maybe someone here tried it.
>>

> We have some antenna-splitters in operation, but you loose quite some
> signal.
> Here is a picture of such a splitter in a church tower:

Just like this image

> http://www.wirelessleiden.nl/album/index.php/CNodeCeTIM/Renovatie_mei_2010/img_1363
> Sometimes an omni antenna cannot be used, but in general we strongly
> prefer to use individual accesspoints / antennas.
>
> One of our volunteers tried this setup:
> http://www.wirelessleiden.nl/album/index.php/hardware/antennes/greyhoundantennas/GREYH46
> some years ago, I have no idea of the performance.
>
> Huub

However the majority seems to claim loss of performance. Can you confirm?

According to this:
http://www.gandalf.nl/pdf/Splitters_2way.pdf

There is a 5.1 dbi loss.