[Battlemesh] designing logo each year VS permanent identity

fboehm fboehm at aon.at
Mon Feb 10 12:14:46 UTC 2014

Am 10.02.14 11:15, schrieb Simon Wunderlich:
> Hey Federico,
>
> just my two cents on the proposal: personally I like the fact that we have a
> different logo every time - it's part of the identity of the battlemesh. For
> the website, we are doing changes each year to fit it to the environment
> (travel info, hosting info, agenda etc) so the wiki format is quite good. It
> might not be the most beautiful page on the net, but it's easy for people to
> access and everyone can make changes - we should definitely be able to keep
> that.
>
> So even if we save the time for the logo, I don't know how much we safe
> regarding the website. We can discuss that at the WBM of course, if you have a
> good idea how to pull that - if we find someone who wants to do that for money
> (which is certainly possible), we need to supervise that too and be able to
> make changes on our own in the future. :)
>
> Cheers,
>      Simon
>

>> I launch a proposal for the future: is it really worth it to use so much
>> time each year designing logos and stuff?
>>
>> Why don't we crowdfund a cool design (logo & website design) for our
>> community and use that as a base for every year?
>>
>> We could spend more of our free time in promoting the event, organizing
>> talks, look for sponsors/funding... we would also subtract any of this
>> responsibility from local organizers who can focus on what is most
>> important: accommodation, food, logistics, local promotion... let's see
>>
>> Advantages:
>>
>>    * clear identity which becomes recognizable
>>    * international volunteers can focus on promotion and talks
>>    * local volunteers can focus on logistics
>>    * professionally designed identity and website is a gain in credibility
>>
>> Disadvantages
>>
>>    * costs money
>>    * no personalized logo based on the city hosting the event
>>
>> In my opinion, if we could overcome the money issue, we could easily let
>> go of personalized logos and colors each year as they don't bring much
>> value to the event (in terms of contents and participants) compared to
>> the amount of work they require.
>>
>> Think about it. We could discuss about it at the event if you think it's
>> worth it.
>>
>> Federico

I don't think the website needs to be super sophisticated nor expensive.
Just a basic, clean design.

Regarding logo I think the more simplistic it is the better it could be
adapted to a specific location. Maybe like the following approach but
just less complex:
http://www.markea1.net/corporate_design/a1_logo_system.html

The look and feel of the website could gain a lot of attractiveness by
switching from a Wiki backend to a CMS backend. I know this is a big
change but the content would still be manageable from different persons
or groups.

I would be willing to spend most of my time during WBMv7 on this task.
But I might need help from somebody that is more experienced in webdesign.

For brainstorming on a logo a workshop with more participants would be
very helpful.