[Battlemesh] Talk about DFS in 5 GHz mesh networks

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Tue Feb 25 19:12:13 UTC 2014

Hi Simon,

I unfortunately can't make the trek across the pond this May.  I do look
forward to your presentation's slides/summary being published.

My question about DFS-related regulatory issues comes from observing some
chatter on a listserv used by commercial WISPs (WISPA) about increasing
scrutiny by FCC and related parties on unlicensed use of DFS channels
5265-5700MHz in the US.  This understandably comes as a consequence of many
of these commercial WISPs migrating to those frequencies, to avoid noise
from the increasing number of consumer-grade wifi gadgets operating on 5GHz
band, along that from with local cable operators hanging millions of
poorly-managed 5GHz APs on their utility poles.

This would presumably mean that operators wanting to experiment with open
implementations of DFS in the US over the next few years would need to be
wary of scrutiny from the FCC, and likely also from commercial WISPs
residing on nearby channels.

Still, the FCC and CE are different regulatory bodies, although I presume
at high levels they will share some similarities in how they enforce
spectrum policy.

Thanks for your response.

--
Ben West