[Battlemesh] Open Tasks - once again / And some questions

Simon Wunderlich sw at simonwunderlich.de
Wed Apr 8 12:21:27 UTC 2015

Hey Bernd,

can't answer on all the tech details, but please see comments on some of your
questions inline (can someone from the Test/Firmware team answer the others
please?)

On Sunday 05 April 2015 02:16:37 Bernd Naumann wrote:
> [..]
> # Deploying nodes in the area
>
> I have an other question in more general: if I remember correctly,
> last year many tests happened with nodes really close to each other
> (all on one table).
>   Is there any reason in this, besides - it was more difficult to
> scatter the nodes over the area like in copenhagen it was (I saw the
> walkaround video clip, which was quiet cool to show around, to
> illustrate the battlemesh-sphere ;-)?

I believe there were only a few tests on the table, we had access to pretty
much the whole building. The year before, we were in Aalborg University (north
of Copenhagen), but yeah we could scatter the routers over the Campus which
was pretty cool

>   How will be the situation at the spot this year? I saw that it might
> be possible to do long-shots, too. Do we have access to the area? Do
> we can build a real world scenario?

The building of the event is pretty huge with something about 10 rooms (or
even more?) which we can use. Its also on a mountain with very good view to
the city of maribor, so longshots should be possible as well. There is also a
basketball court and some greenfields around the building which we could use
for outdoor tests.

> # Simulate disruption
>
> An other thing: What could I do if I do not have access to a large
> area and want to simulate disruption in a mesh network virtually? Like
> changing legacy or available bandwith with linux kernel features, or
> is there even a way to simulate bad ETX-values on the mesh layer via
> the kernel?

Not sure what you want to measure exactly - there are some hardware ways (e.g.
jamming, removing antennas, etc) and software ways (dropping packets at
random). It would be good to explain what kind of disruption (from real
world?) you want to simulate.

> # Testbeds at the battlemesh
>
> And as I am writing right now, a third and hopefully last thing:
> Last year I didn't understood the topology of the network, so is there
> a separated /stable/ network for accessing the internet (?), but how
> are test-networks organised? Are there several networks from different
> groups, and when and how someone can participate, learn and maybe help
> with something while building and testing?

There is a separate stable network from WLAN Slovenia. As far as I know, the
testbed was used entirely or in parts (if not all nodes were required) to
perform test. We usually have "implementation teams" of the different
protocols, if enough people are available, to help with the integration if
there are any bugs or questions. A good way to participate and learn is to
sign up for the Firmware team and help making it happen. :) In the past, we
always had quite a few people working on it, not necessarily full time.

Hope to see you in Maribor!!
    Simon