[Battlemesh] WBMv8 -- a personal perspective

demos demos at posteo.de
Mon Aug 10 14:03:58 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

Daniel Golle:
> Hi everyone!
>
> On Sun, Aug 09, 2015 at 10:01:33PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> First of all, many, many thanks to Musti and the other organisers of WBMv8
>> in Maribor, Slovenia.  This was very well done.
>>

> Full ACK!

i liked the stay too!
Thank you very much. :)

>> Suggested improvements
>> ======================
>>
>> No event is so perfect that it cannot be improved upon, and WBMv8 is no
>> exception.
>>
>> I thought many talks were too long -- everyone got a one hour slot, while
>> many of the talks could have been done just as well in 30 minutes or so.
>> (I originally asked for 40 minutes for my Babel talk, but got one hour
>> anyway.)  I also thought there were many talks that were not clearly mesh
>> related -- I think we should have a rule that says "if it's not mesh
>> related, you get 15 minutes, and we'll interrupt you rudely if you go over
>> your allotted time".  (And if you intend to sit down and scroll a text
>> file rather than preparing a proper set of overhead slides and speaking to
>> the audience, you get 0 minutes.  Sorry.)
I liked the talk and found it pretty mesh related,
because Daniel said for what GNUnet could be useful in Open Wireless
Networks.
He simply presented a newcomer in that field.
I must say i found the text presentation cool!:)
Though i am more used to traditional presentations, i didn'
t miss it for a minute!

> I can see how future versions of the battlemesh could have several
> tracks, eg. a routing track, a more general distributed systems track
> and a community/social/politics track. Possibly IoT/sensor-net-related
> topics will also be popping up in the not too distant future.

If people go to talks they cannot test.
Maybe next time reduce the talks, maybe more lightening talks instead.
and have kind of daily meeting talking about the testing progress and plans.

 Thanks to the cjdns and
>> MaidSafe people for their restraint.

You are thankful that they did not participate?
Are newcomers wanted or unwanted at the Battlemesh?
After Snowden what's wrong with developing Crypto Routing?
If one really cares for privacy that's THE answer.

Having Rust rolling in OpenWrt and getting MaidSafe
> packaged is next on my agenda...

Great! :)

> I also managed to get some measurement results using a small-scale
> testbed
please share!

Demos
--

"There are many fights more important than the fight over how the
internet is
regulated. Equity in race, gender, sexual preference; the widening
wealth gap;
the climate crisis – each one far more important than the fight over the
rules
for the net.
Except for one thing: the internet is how every one of these fights will
be won
or lost. Without a free, fair and open internet, proponents of urgent
struggles
for justice will be outmaneuvered and outpaced by their political opponents,
by the power-brokers and reactionaries of the status quo.
The internet isn’t the most important fight we have; but it’s the most
foundational."
Cory Doctorow
(http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jun/15/internet-answer-questions-of-our-time)