[Battlemesh] WBMv8 -- a personal perspective

Thijs van Veen dicht at operamail.com
Mon Aug 10 14:21:03 UTC 2015

Hi,

Just to add in my thoughts.

First of all, the shell scripts Henning and I wrote are very simple.
I thought we'd be doing much more difficult stuff, but it all turned out
pretty basic.
I hope people will learn from this and understand that it doesn't take a
genius to help out, just some focus.

WiBed can be a very valuable tool to help us test things on a larger
scale and get more info from the nodes.
This is one of the reasons I offered Manos to help out with getting
WiBed up and running before the next Battlemesh.

I'm pretty sure we can save a lot of issues just by grabbing the latest
stable versions and freeze that configuration for testing.
It's great to have this drive for testing the latest versions, but
please let us keep this seperate from the controlled testing
environment.
Any bugfixes after the frozen configuration should be acknowledged in
the discussion of the testresults.

What I would like to see next year is basically three things:

1. A backup manual solution (possibly based on the scripts Henning and I
wrote);
2. A WiBed setup with stable versions of OpenWRT and the protocols to be
tested;
3. A WiBed setup with the bleeding edge versions of OpenWRT and the
protocols.

All of this of course includes the protocol configurations, which may
depend on the test scenarios.
You can expect an email from me about a month before the event to gather
which scenarios we want to test and how we should configure the
protocols for these scenarios.

--
  Thijs van Veen
  dicht at operamail.com