[Battlemesh] WBMv8 -- a personal perspective

Sven Eckelmann sven at narfation.org
Mon Aug 10 15:04:41 UTC 2015

On Monday 10 August 2015 14:13:24 nemesis wrote:
>  I would also encourage more participation of ALL the routing protocol
>  developers, because in my opinion the batman-adv team did not follow the
>  process as much as the other routing protocol developers.

Can you please tell us more about that? We've debugged different problems for
the wibed team (it seems to be that some people more or less seriously like
blame batman-adv for everything), provided workarounds or suggestion what we
think should be be changed in OpenWrt to fix crashes/problems in other
components. At some point the wibed team seemed to have a basic firmware with
batman-adv already running. Maybe I remember this wrong but at least I was
always under the impression that batman-adv was already there and configured
and changes should only be provided by the routing daemon developers. After
that point I was only asked by Pedro about the current version of batman-adv
in the Chaos Calmer openwrt-routing feed. This was followed by a discussion of
Marek and Igor about whether the firmware team should switch to Chaos Calmer
for WiBed or stay at the current version (which I assumed was "mostly"
working).

The only thing I heard after that point were some rumors about some "batman-
adv people" which were allegedly started by Juliusz [1], the existence of a
second firmware team (which already seemed to have stuff running - which meant
for me that I also already have batman-adv working) and then some people
running around making fun about batman-adv because it allegedly duplicates
packets. I've tried to debug the latter one in a smaller setup because the
other things which I overheard didn't seem relevant for the actual tests. The
7 WDR4300 I brought with me were already used in a different testbed. But
Krishna was kind enough to help out with his nodes and tested some minor
things with me and at least partially succeeded. The problem with the wifi
driver was reported to OpenWrt, a working version was of the wifi driver was
identified and everything was explained to persons who I've recognized as
relevant for the ongoing tests (Amadeus, Henning, ...). Of course, this was
already quite late and resulted only in smaller discussions about what we
should do differently about the firmware stuff in the next battlemesh and no
change in the "new test firmware".

During that time or after that I was not approached anymore by anyone about
configuration stuff or heard anyone requiring help with batman-adv for the
battlemesh test. Maybe you've talked about it with Antonio (at least I was
near you while you've talked very intensely with him in italian) but I have a
big flaw - I don't speak italian at all.

Sorry for not being the most social person. I don't talk much and try not to
disturb person when they are already occupied. But this doesn't mean that I am
not listening or that I don't try to help. This was only my second battlemesh
and also the first one after a two year pause from batman-adv and battlemesh.
So I didn't want to join any team before the battlemesh started because I
considered myself more a burden to any team which already knew what was done
the last years. I was still trying to help ad hoc when required and without
hindering someone.

Even when still thought and talked positive about the event with txt.file and
Amadeus - no, I don't think so anymore after reading these mails. If it is
required to create a second team which doesn't want to cooperate with us (or
at least not with me) - ok. But then reading this is more than depressing.

I said that I would attend the next battlemesh and most likely a meeting in
Sarantaporo. But I've now decided not to do it anymore (at least not during
such an event). I met many very kind and intelligent people. But this doesn't
help when at the end I am under the impression of being expelled and feeling
bad about having attended the battlemesh in the first place.

Some positive words at the end:

Thanks to the local orga team, the external orga team, the firmware and
testing team(s), the people giving talks (sorry for missing most of them while
debugging stuff - but I will try to watch the recordings later), promoters,
... and of course anyone else who joined the battlemesh v8.

Kind regards,
	Sven

[1] I was not there at the time... just heard from other persons; so this can
    be also counted as pure rumor spread by me. Please don't use this against
    Juliusz in any way because he may never have said something like that in
    the first place. Still the rumors (whoever really started them) came to my
    ears