[Battlemesh] WBMv8 -- a personal perspective

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 21:02:31 UTC 2015

Yes, some presentations' slides were very difficult to read.  I'm not
precisely sure what the projector's specs were, except that it was a VGA
input, which blurred any details that relied on individual pixels.  It also
played havoc with one of the HDMI to VGA adapters used as a workaround.

In general, projected slides should be created using big, bold strokes.
This not only makes the quality of the projector matter less, but helps
people sitting at the back of the room or who have difficulty reading
English quickly.  The rule of thumb to avoid "death by powerpoint" is to
have very few bullet points per slide; it's better to have more slides, or
to use a good diagram as a talking point instead.

I think the smallest font I used in mine was about 18 point, and that was
for snarky side notes that wouldn't matter if they were missed, or command
strings that were meant to be read in detail from the PDF afterwards.  I
also used fonts optimised for large-format, specifically Gill Sans
(originally designed for signwriting) and Inconsolata.

- Jonathan Morton