[Battlemesh] wibed-openwrt -- Cleanup & RFC

Bernd Naumann bernd at kr217.de
Wed Aug 12 11:18:59 UTC 2015

hi at all,

like last week I have already stated, I am not pleased with the way of
the wibed-openwrt is prepared and build.

The "main" part of wibed are just two feeds (which maybe could only be
one...) and a bunch of config symbols.

Atm we have this full bloated openwrt cloned repo with a customized
feeds.conf and a directory containing config files for two architectures
.

I propose to just have a repo with _NEEDED_ symbols and additional
feed urls, so a user just have to clone a clean openwrt flavor (14.04,
15.05, or trunk) and then append the feed urls to the clean feeds.conf
and the _needed_ config symbols to .config and then just run `make
defconfig` to resolve and get all the dependencies.

For now most of the stuff is nearly clean... On my way back home I
spend the time to figure out what is really necessary and what not.

For what I have found the only things that do not come (automatically)
from one of the wibed packages (Makefiles) and are may be manually
added by one of the maintainers are

CONFIG_DEVEL=y

CONFIG_FEATURE_drawing-backend_DirectFB=y

CONFIG_PACKAGE_reghack=m

CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-crypto-manager=y

CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-gre=y

CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-gre6=y

CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-tun=y

CONFIG_OPENSSL_WITH_EC=y

CONFIG_PACKAGE_libblkid=y

CONFIG_PACKAGE_libiw=y

CONFIG_PACKAGE_wibed-system=y

CONFIG_WIBED_SYSTEM_SERVER="http://wibed.confine-project.eu/"

CONFIG_WIBED_SYSTEM_TESTBED="wibed"

CONFIG_WIBED_SYSTEM_MGMT_SSID="wibed"

CONFIG_WIBED_SYSTEM_MGMT_BSSID="02:C0:FF:EE:C0:DE"

CONFIG_WIBED_SYSTEM_MGMT_5=y

CONFIG_OVERRIDE_PKGS="perf libnetfilter-log libnetfilter-queue
elfutils"

CONFIG_PACKAGE_libcap=y

  (The one or other thing might be a default value):

So, you see there is no reason to carry a full openwrt repository with
you, were nobody is able to update from upstream after several months.

I hope I find the time over this week to run a few tests and can
prepare a 'new' way of setting up the wibed-openwrt-firmware nice and
clean. The new way should like I said just a list of few config
symbols and addition to the feeds.conf.

Who is already participating in the firmware, and who has any comments
on that?

Best greetings and wishes for a better test environment,
Bernd

PS: Anyone who is capable of reading/writing shell and lua should
PLEASE also have a look at all the wibed-system scripts! For what I
have found, there are some parts not finished or may not tested for
several years. So I am calling for arms that more people should read
that and contribute fixes or improvements. kthxbye

- --
Bernd Naumann <bernd at kr217.de>

PGP:   0xA150A04F via pool.sks-keyservers.net
XMPP:  bn at weimarnetz.de