[Battlemesh] Network configuration and address plan for Battlemesh v9

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Wed Aug 12 12:04:02 UTC 2015

Henning Rogge <hrogge at gmail.com> writes:

> OLSRd/OLSRd2 both set the TC flags to get "high priority"... which
> should (I think) be handled both by the default queuing discipline and
> by the wifi driver.

The default queueing discipline in OpenWrt is fq_codel, which does *not*
honour diffserv markings. However, it will automatically prioritise
routing traffic for a different reason: sparse flows are given priority
over bulk traffic.

The WiFi driver does queue things based on diffserv markings, but
contains no admission control, so nothing prevents a bulk flow from
marking things as high priority, and blowing up the network. In fact,
this was one of the tests I showed on Saturday.

Rather than just prioritising, I think testing the routing protocols'
behaviour under severe load should be a part of the test regimen.
Relying on network operators to always configure prioritisation is
unrealistic, I think, and failing gracefully (or as gracefully as
possible) should be a goal of the protocol itself.

-Toke