[Battlemesh] Open Tasks

Henning Rogge hrogge at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 10:01:53 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 4:58 PM, Daniel Golle <daniel at makrotopia.org> wrote:
>  * Besides testing different routing protocols on top of the IBSS/
>    Ad-Hoc 802.11 MAC, I suggest to also consider using the 802.11s
>    MAC (not necessarily including the built-in routing protocol,
>    it can easily be disabled and replaced by other things).
>    I currently do that to use batman-adv, OLSR and babels in different
>    VLANs on to of an 802.11s VIF with mesh_ttl=1 and mesh_forwarding=0
>    set. And that kinda works ;)
>    P2P-GO might also be an option, but I didn't get into it yet, as
>    the 802.11s MAC seems more promissing? (anyone?)
>    Running 802.11s VIF simultanously with an IBSS/Ad-Hoc VIF seems
>    possible at least on ath9k.

We are using 802.11s (with deactivated frame forwarding) in our
Institute Mesh Network to do our Olsrd2 tests. It behaves as well as
IBSS, with the additional bonus that you can bridge it on both sides
without special hacks.

So using 802.11s as a layer2-base for layer-3 routing would be straight forward.

Henning Rogge