[Battlemesh] Battlemesh event in NYC?

Mitar mitar at tnode.com
Wed Jan 7 22:47:08 UTC 2015

Hi!

I think this is a great idea! As a person who lives both in Slovenia and
Berkeley, CA, I see that yes, we need more connections between more
continents and more people. :-) We have talked about the idea of
organizing the Battlemesh in USA also in the mesh network in Oakland
(https://peoplesopen.net/). (Feel free to come around and visit us in
Oakland at any time.) I think it is a great idea that you get to come to
this year's Battlemesh, so that it will be then easier for
you/us/whoever in USA to organize something similar next year (or in
half of year, some .5 event). With this in mind I was already proposing
this year that this year we should try to obtain some travel
scholarships so that people from other continents could come to the
Battlemesh.

So my personal wet dream here is:
- we choose the date close to the Chaos Communication Camp
- we get some travel scholarships
- people can come to Europe from other continents
- they can come to both events, Batlemesh and the camp
- next year and the following years we have Battlemesh in other
continents, or at least in other continents in parallel, we should grow
like meshrooms! :-)
- we obtain even more travel scholarships next year (we got practice and
connections this year!) and get people from Europe and other continents
to visit those events

I am not sure familiar are you with current and existing communities and
events around mesh networking, so I will try to point you to few, just
to give you some pointers, and US centric, so that you get some ideas
what to do in USA. (Others, feel free to add more.)

So we are working at the mesh network in Oakland
(http://peoplesopen.net/). I think that people already pointed you to
http://wirelesssummit.org/, also a great event to meet many people from
all around the world. A good resource is also The Free Network
Foundation (https://thefnf.org/). Last year few networks from USA had a
great meeting in Austin, TX. And we also went from Oakland to Portland
on a road trip to visit Portland's Personal Telco network
(https://personaltelco.net/wiki). Last year few of us have also been to
the LibrePlanet (http://libreplanet.org/) and I think we are planing to
go this year again.

I think there is a bit of mesh networking revival in USA and we should
definitely do something to start meeting. We can also try to do some
other type of events, not just Battlemesh. More the merrier. :-)

(One shameless plug, we are just crowdfunding for our space in Oakland,
so check the amazing video (mesh is also there!), contribute, but please
spread the word:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/open-the-omni-commons-for-all-of-oakland)

Mitar

http://mitar.tnode.com/