[Battlemesh] JSON data interchange format for networks

Henning Rogge hrogge at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 08:09:03 UTC 2015

Some comments below...

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Nemesis <nemesis at ninux.org> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> in the past 2 months some people have been working on a simple idea, which
> would bring a lot of benefits to many people and that for some strange
> reason has not been implemented yet, probably because the effort is more
> "human" than technical, as many different people have to work together and
> come to agreements.
>
> But here's the idea:
>
> Immagine you could export a device configuration in JSON format and reimport
> that somewhere else, like monitoring software, node database, or whatever
> you need.
> Something like this:
> https://github.com/interop-dev/json-for-networks/blob/master/examples/device-configuration.json

Line 67-80:

"addresses": [
{
"address": "192.168.1.1/24",
"mask": 24,
"family": "ipv4",
"proto": "static"
},
{
"address": "fe80::216:44ff:fe60:32d2",
"mask": 64,
"family": "ipv6",
"proto": "static"
}
]

either we should put the prefix length into the address or we should not...

I assume it should be:
"address": "192.168.1.1",

Line 253:
"version": null,

"Null" as a valid parameter feels strange and complicates parsing.
Either make the whole parameter optional or add "0" as the version for
static routes.

> Immagine you could extract monitoring data with a simple JSON that has a
> similar structure to the device configuration, that would enable different
> software to play well with one another, instead of building silos that don't
> talk to each other.
> Something like this:
> https://github.com/interop-dev/json-for-networks/blob/master/examples/monitoring-data.json

Looks good.

> Immagine the olsr json info plugin, or the json output by batman, but
> instead of being all different, they shared a common structure, and differed
> only in the key/value pairs that are specific to their protocol.

I don't think we can change the format of the olsr JSON output, but we
could add a new plugin for olsr and olsrv2.

> That would be easier to parse for who develops software to represent those
> topologies visually.
> Something like this:
> https://github.com/interop-dev/json-for-networks/blob/master/examples/network-routes.json

Looks fine.