[Battlemesh] Global Scalability

Henning Rogge hrogge at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 15:05:54 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 5:01 PM, Uros Platise <uros at isotel.org> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am working on a new distributed Medium Access Layer - Protocol with
> aim to overcome today's scalability problems of centralized topologies
> and synchronous concepts as seen in internet and wifis.
>
> My vision and goal is to create a global scale mesh network, entirely
> based on distributed approach, and to stimulate evolution of locally
> running distributed services, which network is to be open and free.

My first two questions would be "what hardware do you have in mind"
and "are we talking about a wired or wireless MAC layer" ?

Writing a good MAC layer for wireless medium that can deal with hidden
stations is hard... getting hardware for it might be even harder.

> If you are interested I can give a brief in few minutes in one of the
> Lightening talks in Maribor, what's up in this project.
>
> I am also eager to see your testbench results in Maribor comparing
> various routing layers, how far they can scale.

I am not sure if I understand what you are saying.

MAC layer is for getting access to the media. Routing layer is for
forwarding IP packets.
MAC layer has to deal with local density as a scalability issue,
Routing layer with the total size of the network.

How do you want to compare them?

Henning