[Battlemesh] 802.11ah sub-1GHz

Brough Turner broughturner at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 14:22:53 UTC 2015

902-928 MHz is an ISM (Industrial, Scientific & Medical) band in the US,
i.e. license-exempt operation is allowed for any equipment that has
type-approval (same as 2.4 & 5.8 GHz bands).

Ubiquiti (and others) already make radios where they have down-banded Wi-Fi
chip sets to operate in the 900 MHz band. Because there is only 26 MHz of
spectrum to work with, we see channel sizes of 5 MHz or 8 MHz.  And AFAIK
these down-banded radios don't interoperate.  802.11ah should (eventually)
result in interoperability.

Thanks,
Brough Turner

Mobile: +1 617 285-0433   Skype: brough