[Battlemesh] [Office] FCC Firmware lockdown

L. Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Fri Sep 4 16:08:52 UTC 2015

On Sep 4, 2015, at 5:53 PM, Amelia Andersdotter <teirdes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Luis and Paul;
>
> In whose interest is it to stop unauthorised software?

As weird as it sounds but actually it really helps keeping the devices terribly insecure.
You guess who would be interested in that...

> To my understanding these directives also cover stuff like wifi
> connected pace-makers and so.

Oh, now your' talking ;) Sweet!
But there is a problem with that part, see the next sentence.

> Health care apparatuses used for the
> elderly, automobile on board entertainment systems and so forth.

Well, in that case - at least over here - we are not allowed to update them
anyway. They need to be certified and after certification they MUST NEVER be updated nor changed
unless they will be re-certified (and that usually takes one year).
So nobody does that. I won't talk about the IT security issues of these devices now. You figure :)

> There are also blanket exemptions in Annex I for anything which is not
> used commercially of the directive.

Would that cover stuff we are doing in community wireless networks?

> If there is a strong commercial interest behind stopping unauthorized
> software that is clearly a bigger problem than if this is just a
> precautionary measure by the legislature to impose more liability on
> large-scale vendors of radio equipment to various other society sectors.

true

> One way to certify experimental solutions could perhaps be to ask the
> national regulatory for a de minimis-exception: if the market shares are
> so small that the burden of certification is clearly unreasonable, then
> a market actor can self-certify knowing that failure to do so adequately
> will impose liabilities. This rule could apply for any commercial actor
> which holds less than 5% of the relevant market shares within any
> particular market branch. De minimis is a known concept from competition
> law, and in this case it would serve to help small market players avoid
> impossible costs of certification. Something like this.

So this would be an idea for the putting into national law part?

Best,
a.