[Battlemesh] It’s do or die now

Linus Lüssing linus.luessing at c0d3.blue
Fri Sep 25 16:55:21 UTC 2015

Störerhaftung is a law here in Germany on Secondary Liability:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_liability

Afaik that law was used for things like leaving your car unlocked
or a chainsaw unattended.

In 2010 the German high court ruled, that the internet is so
dangerous though, that secondary liability applies.

The good thing (so far) is, that here we have a specific
excemption for ISPs, the so called "Provider's Privilege".

Last year some lower courts acknowledged that hotel and holiday
flat owners and even Freifunk are an "Access Provider" and
therefore fall under the same privilege.

Now the government got nervous about loosing their fine
"scare law", the Störerhaftung. It so effectively prevented
people to share their internet access, even with friends or flat
mates... Germans are very easy to scare with something like that.

And now the government tries to push an update through quickly
because they are unhappy with the lower court rulings.
(and how they are selling it and the mainstream media is buying it
is even more unnerving - they leave out the whole story of the low
court rulings and sell it as an improvement and more open wifi in
Germany!)

Cheers, Linus