[Battlemesh] FCC fw lockdown vs. GPLv3?

Linus Lüssing linus.luessing at c0d3.blue
Sat Sep 26 09:44:16 UTC 2015

I'm wondering whether in the light of this FCC regulation it might
be possible to get a rough consenus from active kernel developers
that GPLv2 is not in the Linux developer's interest anymore.

If so, maybe it'd be possible to have a strong developer base
(maybe including Torvalds) who'd support not just dual-licensed
kernel modules, but also parts which are GPLv3 only.

(I'm unsure, GPLv3-only and GPLv2-only code could not be compiled
into a single built-in kernel blob - only building them as
separate kernel modules would work, right?)

Then it'd be interesting whether there are some small but
(especially for wifi or embeded systems) essential components
in the kernel with a rather small amount of contributors.
Who'd additionally be willing to add a GPLv3 license to their work
so far and who'd be willing to continue GPLv3(+) licensing
*without* a dual-GPLv2 license for any future patches.

(next to sounding "difficult", I hope it's not sounding too "mean"
too :) )

Cheers