[Battlemesh] Gigabit switch/router openwrt with SFP

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Tue Apr 12 16:43:58 UTC 2016

Apologies for being imprecise.  The Cavium chips appeared in the older
generations, e.g. EdgeRouter Lite.  I find patchset from November 2015
adding support for the ERX, although not yet for hardware accelerated NAT.

Caveat about attempt to multiplex incoming POE power to all 5 ports is that
you can only get so much current from single strand of cat-5.  UBNT likely
designs for 1 to 1.5A current capacity on each outgoing POE port, and you
wouldn't be able to source 5A+ on the single incoming port reliably.

That is, an Edgerouter sourcing current to multiple POE destinations would
have to receive its power via some means besides POE.

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 11:25 AM, fboehm <fboehm at aon.at> wrote:

> Am 12.04.2016 um 18:04 schrieb Musti:
>
>> Unfortunately I need both in and out, but will think if this can be
>> useful anyhow.
>>

> I have the Non-SFP version here on my table. The RJ-45 connectors are THT
> (not SMT) parts. If that's also the case with the SFP version, it shouldn't
> be too difficult to add PoE-In. Not sure if you are willing to make such
> electrical modifications.
>
> Regarding SoC, it has a Mediatek MT7621. Not a Cavium.
>
> Franz

Ben West
http://gowasabi.net
ben at gowasabi.net