[Battlemesh] IEEE magazine on FCC lockdown

Simon Wunderlich sw at simonwunderlich.de
Wed Apr 20 16:24:00 UTC 2016

On Wednesday 20 April 2016 18:00:07 Henning Rogge wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 5:44 PM, Simon Wunderlich <sw at simonwunderlich.de>
wrote:
> > For DFS, we need to detect radars (that's layer 1). But once it was
> > detected, we need to send a channel switch announcement (layer 2) and
> > make stations or other mesh participants move to a new channel together
> > with us.
>
> I don't think radar detection is done completely in Layer 1 in current
> Wifi chips...

Well, pattern detection is also done in software at least on ath9k and ath10k.
All we get from the hardware (for these chips) is radar signal events, but
pattern matching to match a number of signals to a particular radar type (and
avoid false positives) is still done is software - and these radar patterns
are also updated by regulation bodies from time to time.

Cheers,
      Simon