[Battlemesh] mini-survey towards an FCC-Free "global south" router

Nicolás Echániz nicoechaniz at altermundi.net
Fri Apr 22 22:38:07 UTC 2016

Thanks Pau and Leonardo

I'm adding my own replies in case anyone else later has some other use
for this data.

I'd very much appreciate it if people from other networks (Ninux,
Freifunk, Funkfeuer, awmn ...) would add their answers to this
mini-survey. If all goes well we will all benefit from the existance of
this low cost multi-radio router. The more data we have, the more cases
we'll be able to cover.

Cheers,
Nico

On 04/15/2016 09:15 PM, Nicolás Echániz wrote:

> For the project at hand, we'd like to know, in your experience
> deploying mesh networks:
>
> 0) what's the approximate size of your mesh clouds (number of nodes)

from 15 to 70 nodes.

> 1) what's your most common node configuration?

* one device with dual-band radios (mainly WDR3500) + semi-directional
antennas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3LyuF2qSSY

> 1.1) Does your network mostly depend on ad-hoc mode?

yes

> 2) considering your most common node configuration: could a router
> with two integrated 5Ghz radios for meshing + one 2.4Ghz radio for
> local AP provision cover most cases?

yes