[Battlemesh] mini-survey towards an FCC-Free "global south" router

fboehm fboehm at aon.at
Sat Apr 23 07:51:48 UTC 2016

Nico, here are my answers to the project/product I'm working on. As
discussed with you, please take it with a grain of salt as it's
early-stage and therefore subject to change.

0) what's the approximate size of your mesh clouds (number of nodes)
100 to 1000

1) what's your most common node configuration?
- One routing device with 3x wired (meaning not onboard) radios.
- Each radio is 5Ghz + directional antenna.
- Everything embedded in one big outdoor housing.

1.1) Does your network mostly depend on ad-hoc mode?
- No ad-hoc mode. Everything infrastructure mode but solely in PtP
configuration/topology.

2) considering your most common node configuration: could a router with
two integrated 5Ghz radios for meshing + one 2.4Ghz radio for local AP
provision cover most cases?

- With 3x 5GHz radios instead of 2x 5GHz maybe. But due to mechanical
and electrical constraints we prefer digital interfaces (Ethernet, USB,
PCIe) to the remote radios instead of RF signals. That means in our
product design onboard (embedded) radios are an unfavored option.
- We don't plan to have 2.4GHz equipped. As the device is meant to be
mounted on a single-family homes roof, the 2.4GHz access point would be
a separate device inside of the house.

Kind regards,
Franz