[Battlemesh] mini-survey towards an FCC-Free "global south" router

Nicolás Echániz nicoechaniz at altermundi.net
Sat Apr 23 22:29:05 UTC 2016

On 04/23/2016 08:57 AM, Nemesis wrote:
> On 04/16/2016 02:15 AM, Nicolás Echániz wrote:
>> 1.1) Does your network mostly depend on ad-hoc mode?
>
> No, unfortunately in my opinion. I would also encourage more use of
> 802.11s mode with alternative routing protocols (always my personal
> opinion and does not reflect the entire ninux community).

Networks using ground routing are usually impeded of implementing ad-hoc
networks because the "dumb wireless" devices do not support this mode.
That's one of the drives behind this project. To be able to replace
these setups with multi radio routers which can use ad-hoc or 802.11s modes.

>> 2) considering your most common node configuration: could a router
>> with two integrated 5Ghz radios for meshing + one 2.4Ghz radio for
>> local AP provision cover most cases?
>
> I don't know but this would be great and I would support it. Are we
> talking about an outdoor router?

Yes, it is an outdoor router project. The router might look similar to a
Ubiquiti Rocket, with SMA connectors for the external antennas.

There's more data on current implementation alternatives (with qoutes)
we are evaluating at the bottom of this pad:

https://pad.codigosur.org/FRIDA_Escalamientos2016