[Battlemesh] FCC Contacts about Wifi Regulations

Eric Schultz eschultz at prplfoundation.org
Thu Aug 4 20:39:55 UTC 2016

All,

I wanted to let folks at Battlemesh know that the FCC reached out to prpl
Foundation about their U-NII Security Requirements. While we've discussed
this on some public prpl lists (openwrt at lists.prplfoundation.org and
fcc at lists.prplfoundation.org), I wanted to also pass it along here.

As background, staff from the FCC contacted us in late June to set up a
meeting about the U-NII requirements. It was very introductory and we
didn't get into details but they did express that they wanted to continue
the dialogue. We've reached out to the FCC to try to setup a meeting
between the FCC and important open source community members, including in
the OpenWrt/LEDE community, but as of yet nothing has been agreed upon.

While the dialogue is still early, the FCC has asked that anyone interested
file comments on their docket with suggestions about ways to address wifi
interference as well as the pros and cons of different approaches. I
believe they are looking to try to finalize rules in the next few months so
I encourage folks to submit their comments as soon as possible.

To submit comments, please visit and https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filings and
using Proceeding No: 15-170. I strongly encourage interested parties to
contact the FCC through this mechanism.

Thanks,

Eric

--
Eric Schultz, Community Manager, prpl Foundation
http://www.prplfoundation.org
eschultz at prplfoundation.org
cell: 920-539-0404