[Battlemesh] FCC Contacts about Wifi Regulations

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Fri Aug 5 11:29:46 UTC 2016

> In other words, the only hardware restriction is you need the serial port,
> which is the case on various other routers anyway, but we make the serial port
> accessible on the outside of the unit.

Okay, that makes sense.

> We are using DA-15 and DB-15 connectors for the power and utility (i.e. for
> GPIO, and also to make USB charging ports if required) connectors, so that
> people can chop up old PC joystick and VGA cables if they need to.

That doesn't make any sense.  I have dozens of 12V power adaptors with
a 5.5mm barrel jack, I can find one in every electronics store, in every
toy store, and if everything else fails, I can go buy a cheap landline
phone at my local supermarket and cannibalise the power adapter.

On the other hand, I have no idea where my soldering iron is (I haven't
used it in years), and I probably don't have any DA-15 connectors lying
around.  I do have a few VGA cables with DB-15, but only at work, not at
home, and I need them.

> Since the intention is that Mesh Extenders will often be running from
> solar(+ optional battery), there is already no "standard" connector that
> we could be using.

LiPo batteries with JST-PH connectors are available in every toy store,
but I have no idea about LiFePO4.  I suggest you go to your local toy
store (pick one with expensive model planes), and check what's readily
available (as opposed to what needs to be ordered).

> We could, in theory, add a micro USB port as well [...] increase [...]
> the size of the unit

You're putting both a DA-15 and a DB-15 there, and you worry about the
size of a micro-USB connector?

> Anyway, please keep up with the feedback, as it is extremely helpful.

With all due respect, Paul, you sound like you've already made your mind
and are not actually willing to take our feedback into account.  Three
people are telling you the same thing, please think about it.

-- Juliusz